Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dachshund Inspiration

Dachshunds inspire artists to do many things: paint, draw, write, design, sculpt.....create. This is a new handmade wool creation by dachshund lover Karen Clothier, who hails from Queensbury, NY, with her dachshunds 'Mallory,' 'Gunther' and 'Quinn.' The Post Star recently had a look at the artist, and here's an excerpt: Working from her Queensbury home, Clothier creates one-of-a-kind miniature felt dogs.
Her pint-sized pack stands at attention as she sits at a table in her living room poking small pieces of natural fiber with a crafter's needle. Shaping the wool around a wire framework, Clothier molds her material to match photos she has studied in detail.
Clothier works with fibers like camel, llama, angora and sheep's wool. The natural materials give life to the pieces, according to the crafter.
"Each time I do a dog, I learn something new, and then I incorporate it into my next dog," she said.
Clothier holds up a smiling dachshund as an example.
"I bet that took me eight to 10 hours just to do the mouth," she said.
Read more at the Post Star, or check out Karen's creations at Inspiration By Karen. She does commissions for you unique looking dachshunds!

2 comments:

The Dowdydiva a.k.a. Cecile said...

Those dogs are probably inspired by Sinco's Fleece Dogs book.

The book is readily available and tells you how to make felted dogs of either pure wool fleece or a mixture of fleece and hair from your dog.

It's such a cute concept. I have a kit to make a Scottie I'm going to make - the next one will be a mini Doxie!

The Dowdydiva a.k.a. Cecile said...

That said, Karen is a great portraitist, and a master with the fleece. I want to hug them all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails